Upon completion of this program, graduates will possess the skills and hands-on experience needed to become entry-level Pharmacy Technicians, dispensing and providing pharmacy support to pharmacists and clients.
WHAT DO THEY DO?
Pharmacy technicians help licensed pharmacists dispense prescription medication to customers or health professionals. They work in retail pharmacies and hospitals.
TYPICAL JOB DUTIES:
- Take the information needed to fill a prescription from customers or health professionals
- Measure amounts of medication for prescriptions
- Package and label prescriptions
- Organize inventory and alert pharmacists to any shortages of medications or supplies
- Accept payment for prescriptions and process insurance claims
- Enter customer or patient information, including any prescriptions taken, into a computer system
- Answer phone calls from customers.
- Arrange for customers to speak with pharmacists if customers have questions about medications or health matters
Pharmacy technicians work under the supervision of pharmacists, who must review prescriptions before they are given to patients. In most states, technicians can compound or mix some medications and call physicians for prescription refill authorizations. Technicians also may need to operate automated dispensing equipment when filling prescription orders.
Pharmacy technicians working in hospitals and other medical facilities prepare a greater variety of medications, such as intravenous medications. They may make rounds in the hospital, giving medications to patients.
Pharmacy Technician Instructor
Registered Pharmacy Technician #48458
MCI Institute of Technology, West Palm Beach Florida - 2013
This course is designed to provide the knowledge and hands on experiences required to successfully execute the duties, the roles and responsibilities of the Pharmacy Technician.
High school diploma/GED
CERTIFICATION & LICENSURE:
Graduates from the MIPB Pharmacy Technician Program are eligible to apply to become registered with The Florida Board of Pharmacy and sit for the (PTCB) Pharmacy Technician Certification Board Exam.
- Registered & Certified Pharmacy Technician